Seattle and Tacoma Probate and Administration of Estate Attorneys
Helping you through the probate process
Both the probate and estate administration processes and laws1 may be intimidating and confusing for many people. The probate attorneys at the Dickson Law Group are highly skilled in leading clients through the process in a highly efficient and professional manner.
IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE WITH PROBATE, CALL OUR OFFICES IN SEATTLE OR TACOMA AT (206) 621-1110 OR (253) 572-1000 TODAY.
What is probate?
Probate is the term for the court process required to prove that a deceased person’s will is authentic and valid and also to carry out the intentions that the deceased set out in the will.
The probate process can be surprisingly complicated, time-consuming, and costly if not handled correctly, especially if the deceased person did not implement any other estate planning devices besides a will.
The probate court must determine whether a will is valid and must address any objections to the validity of the terms of the will by any potential beneficiaries or heirs. Such arguments over terms of a will may turn into lengthy legal battles and you always want to make sure your rights are protected.
Having representation from an experienced attorney is imperative, as it would be in any other type of court proceeding, and can help the probate process go more smoothly and be less costly.
Assisting with estate administration
Even if a will is found to be valid, administering the estate in accordance with the terms of the wills is a complicated task in itself. The will should name an executor who is responsible for estate administration, which can include the following:
- File the will with the probate court
- Locate and notify all beneficiaries
- Locate the deceased’s assets and manage them throughout the probate process
- Open a bank account for the estate for any stock dividends or other payments that may come in during probate
- Continue to pay all bills such as mortgages and homeowner’s insurance until the property is transferred
- File and pay income taxes for the year during which the individual died
- Notify creditors of the death and probate and pay debts out of the estate
- Distribute all real estate, assets, and personal property to the proper beneficiaries in the will
- Request the probate court formally close the estate
As you can see, estate administration can be complicated, and the assistance of a skilled attorney can be invaluable for the executor throughout this process.
Contact a probate attorney in Seattle or Tacoma for assistance
If you are a family member or an executor facing the probate process, you should always have an experienced probate lawyer helping you during the process. At the Dickson Law Group, we have extensive experience with probate and estate administration.
CALL OUR OFFICE NOW AT (206) 621-1110 OR (253) 572-1000 TO SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY.