Seattle and Tacoma Immigration Lawyers
NOTE: We are not accepting new clients for immigration law cases at this time.
Although we are not accepting new cases for immigration law, we would be happy to take your call and try to point you in the right direction.
Assisting individuals seeking to become U.S. citizens
Naturalization can provide many rights and benefits for you and your family. As a U.S. citizen, you can obtain the right to vote, the right to travel freely, the ability to help family members come to the U.S., and more. If you are considering pursuing citizenship, your first call should be to the Dickson Frohlich.
Our highly experienced immigration attorneys can evaluate your situation, advise you of your eligibility for naturalization, and help you through every step of the process. Please do not hesitate to contact our office for assistance.
Eligibility for naturalization
Citizenship is not automatically available to everyone and you must meet certain criteria in order to be approved for the naturalization process. Some criteria include:
- You must be actually present in the U.S;
- You have continuously lived in the U.S. for five years (with at least three months in your particular state);
- Permanent resident status for at least five years (in some exceptions, three years may qualify);
- Demonstrate good moral character;
- Demonstrate that you believe in the ideals and principles of the U.S. Constitution;
- Show an understanding of basic U.S. civics, government, and history;
- Know how to speak, read, and write basic English.
In some cases, if you do not meet certain criteria, our naturalization lawyers can help to obtain an exemption or waiver for those criteria due to extenuating circumstances.
The naturalization process
In addition to meeting the above criteria, you must go through a specific process before citizenship will be granted. Some steps of this process are as follows:
- File a complete and accurate application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Submit your fingerprints, signature, and other information at a biometrics appointment for criminal background check purposes.
- Be interviewed by a USCIS agent regarding your application and other information about your background.
- Pass a test to prove your knowledge of basic English and U.S. civics.
- Have USCIS approve your application.
- Take the Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. and understand your rights and responsibilities as a citizen.
Contact an experienced Washington naturalization attorney today
Naturalization can be very rewarding though the process can be confusing and many individuals run into obstacles along the way. Having a qualified immigration attorney on your side can help the process go as smoothly as possible.
Please contact the Dickson Frohlich for help at 253-572-1000 in Tacoma or 206-621-1110 in Seattle today.
I highly recommend Dickson Frohlich and if I ever need a lawyer again they will be my first call.
- Jeremy H.
I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate this firm! These guys helped me through one of the most challenging legal situations I’ve faced in my life. Their skill and expertise literally saved my business. I’ve dealt with other counsel in the past but the Dickson firm was by far the most competent and tactful counsel I’ve ever received. I would recommend this group to anyone!
- Keith D.
It’s a pleasure to work with the guys at Dickson Frohlich. One of the first things that stood out to me was how down to earth and friendly everyone at the firm is. I would definitely recommend them.