Attorney Heather Burgess
Heather represents property owners and developers in all phases of real estate development, from pre-acquisition due diligence through local permitting and appeals. Heather has represented development clients on land use matters in jurisdictions across the state of Washington, successfully permitting and defending a variety of large residential, commercial, and industrial projects. Heather also represents property owners, businesses, and individuals in permitting and zoning regulatory matters under the Growth Management Act, Shoreline Management Act, and federal Endangered Species Act, including the listing of the Mazama pocket gopher and other prairie species for protection under the federal Endangered Species Act.
“Being a good lawyer is not enough to develop and maintain a successful law practice. It is critical to remain active and engaged in the business world, in the community, and with peers in practice.” – HEATHER BURGESS
Outside of land use, Heather is an experienced civil real estate litigator, representing clients in boundary and title disputes and real property-related claims. Heather is also a frequent speaker on Washington land use regulation at continuing legal education programs and industry seminars.
Heather was previously a partner at Eisenhower Carlson PLLC in Tacoma and an associate at Perkins Coie LLP’s Seattle and Olympia offices. Before entering private practice, Heather served for 13 years on active duty with the United States Army, six as a Judge Advocate. Heather served as a Judge Advocate in the Washington Army National Guard until her retirement in 2016.
- Land Use
- Real Estate
- Judge Advocate General’s School, L.L.M, 2001, Commandant’s List 2001
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif 1998
- Harvard University, B.A. cum laude 1991
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE IN
- Washington State
- Oregon State
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- United States Supreme Court
- Editor-in-Chief, Washington Real Property Deskbook, (Supplement 2016) Vols. 5 and 6
- Author & Editor, Washington Real Property Deskbook, (4th 2012), Vols. 5 and 6
IN THE PROFESSION
- Thurston County Bar Association | Chair, Real Estate and Land Use Section
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Association of Washington Business | Board of Directors | Past Chair, Land Use Committee
- Thurston Economic Development Council| Board of Directors | President
- Building Industry Association of Washington | Legal Committee
- Thurston County Chamber of Commerce |Business and Economic Development Committee
- Olympia Master Builders Association| Government Affairs Committee
- MBA Pierce County | Legislative Strategies Committee
- YWCA of Pierce County | Board of Directors 2009 – 2015
- Gateway Rotary
Phone: 253.572.1000 or 206.621.1110
I highly recommend Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess and if I ever need a lawyer again they will be my first call.
- Jeremy H.
I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate this firm! These guys helped me through one of the most challenging legal situations I’ve faced in my life. Their skill and expertise literally saved my business. I’ve dealt with other counsel in the past but the Dickson firm was by far the most competent and tactful counsel I’ve ever received. I would recommend this group to anyone!
- Keith D.
It’s a pleasure to work with the guys at Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess. One of the first things that stood out to me was how down to earth and friendly everyone at the firm is. I would definitely recommend them.