Tacoma Family Law Attorney
While any legal issue can be stressful, cases involving your spouse, children, or other family members can be particularly personal and sensitive. Family law cases have their own rules, requirements, and procedures and you always want to have an attorney on your side who is thoroughly familiar with family law claims in Tacoma. At the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess, we regularly handle a variety of family law cases, including:
- Military Divorce
- Division of marital property and assets
- Real estate disputes in divorce
- Child custody
- Enforcement of child custody
- Modification of child custody
- Child visitation
- Relocation with children
- Child support
- Enforcement of child support
- Modification of child support
- Spousal support/Maintenance/Alimony
Family Law–Frequently Asked Questions:
Because family-related legal challenges can be so complex, it is expected that you will have many different questions about your case. The following are some of many common questions you may have in regard to your family law dispute:
- What are the requirements for divorce in WA? Just as there are legal requirements to get married, there are also requirements to legally end a marriage. You or your spouse must be a resident of the state, you must have a legally valid marriage, and you must state that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.” In addition, you must resolve issues such as child custody and property division before a divorce will be granted.
- How does a court resolve custody disputes? All custody cases are decided based on what the court deems is in the best interests of the child. Many factors can be considered when determining what arrangement will be in your child’s best interests.
- Do I need an attorney for my family law case? There is often a lot at stake in family law cases, including where you live and how often you will see your child. For this reason, you should never risk an unfavorable outcome by trying to handle a case yourself and you should always seek legal guidance and assistance with family-related issues.
What to do if you have a family law issue
Knowing that a family law matter is imminent can be stressful. It is important to focus on ways that you can better ensure the most favorable outcome for you and your children, including the following:
- Keep notes of any different or new behavior on the part of your spouse, including large purchases or selling property. This could be an attempt to hide assets from you in an upcoming divorce.
- If you or your children are in danger, you should immediately take action by calling law enforcement and seeking legal help to obtain an order of protection.
- Gather and review financial documents. Make sure your name is properly on titles, familiarize yourself with all bank and investment accounts, and take inventory of your assets.
- Start thinking about the future – where will you live? How much assistance will you need to support yourself and your children? Do you need to find different insurance? Do you need time to find a better job?
The above are only a few of many things to consider if you are facing divorce, child custody dispute, or another family law issue. The good news is that the highly skilled family lawyers at the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess are here to guide you through the legal process and advise you of all the ways you can protect your interests and the interests of your children. Please call our team today for more information about our family law services.
Our experienced Tacoma family law attorneys can help
Our attorneys can be of assistance in many different ways throughout your family law case. Only a few examples of how we can help include:
- Explain the legal process to you to alleviate some of your stress involving legal requirements and procedures.
- Identify any issues that need to be addressed and resolved to complete your case.
- Help to find efficient ways to resolve any disputes outside of the courtroom to save you time, money, and stress.
- Protect your rights and interests and those of your children.
- Ensure you have the financial support you need for you and your children.
- Represent you in court hearings.
”After speaking with Rob for a short period of time, an immense amount of stress and confusion was lifted from me and my wife while navigating an unfortunate boundary line dispute. We had no idea how to deal with the issue, but Rob was super friendly and walked us through all aspects of boundary line disputes. He taught us about typical disputes, how they tend to go, all the legal rules, and how much legal guidance and work tends to cost. But above and beyond that, Rob took an active interest in OUR particular case and took time to understand it in depth. He’s such a wonderful guy to work with, and while we never wish for additional legal troubles in the future, we’re much less worried about it knowing that Rob would be on our side.” – Robert Warren (Google Review)
At the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess, we understand how important family law issues are and we approach every family-related case with compassion and personalized attention. Our family law attorneys work to find solutions that help to preserve your family relationships and your financial situation. Please contact our office for a consultation at 206-621-1110 (Seattle), 253-572-1000 (Tacoma), 360-742-3500 (Olympia), 971-416-0881 (Portland) or through our online contact form.