Seattle and Tacoma Child Support Enforcement Attorneys
Helping you and your child receive the support you deserve
For many parents, monthly child support is extremely important to adequately provide for their children while covering their own expenses, as well. The Washington state family courts use specific calculations to determine the appropriate amount of child support a parent needs to promote the best interests of any dependent children. Unfortunately, receiving a court order for child support is only the first step for some parents, as the paying parent may refuse to comply with the order.
The good news is that there are different methods by which the receiving parent can legally enforce a child support order. The experienced family law attorneys at the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess can assist you in enforcing any existing child support orders so that you can start receiving the funds you deserve. If you need help with enforcement, do not hesitate to call our offices in Seattle or Tacoma at (206) 621-1110 or (253) 572-1000 for help.
Methods of child support enforcement
The state of Washington takes unpaid child support very seriously. Both the family court system and the Washington Department of Child Support (DCS) put forth collection efforts to track down unpaid child support and to ensure proper support is provided in the future. The following are some examples of possible collection tools:
- Wage garnishment
- Attachment to worker’s compensation or unemployment compensation benefits
- Attachment to funds in bank accounts
- Attachment to lawsuit settlements
- Attachment to federal tax refunds from the IRS
- Liens against real or personal property, such as homes or vehicles
- Seize vehicles or other personal property
- Request that the Department of Licensing suspend their driver’s license
- Request suspension of recreational or professional licenses
- Refuse to issue or renew passports
- Post names on the Department of Child Services (DCS) “most wanted” website
- Report unpaid debt to credit reporting agencies
- Initiate contempt proceedings
- Initiate criminal charges for the offense of nonsupport under RCW 26.20.035
As you can see, there are many different methods of enforcing child support orders and receiving any arrears. If you need assistance with enforcement of a child support order, the committed attorneys at the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess can assist you. Please do not hesitate to call one of our offices at (206) 621-1110 or (253) 572-1000 for a phone consultation today.
I highly recommend Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess and if I ever need a lawyer again they will be my first call.
- Jeremy H.
I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate this firm! These guys helped me through one of the most challenging legal situations I’ve faced in my life. Their skill and expertise literally saved my business. I’ve dealt with other counsel in the past but the Dickson firm was by far the most competent and tactful counsel I’ve ever received. I would recommend this group to anyone!
- Keith D.
It’s a pleasure to work with the guys at Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess. One of the first things that stood out to me was how down to earth and friendly everyone at the firm is. I would definitely recommend them.