Skip to main content

Seattle and Tacoma Child Support Modification Attorneys

Helping to obtain necessary changes to child support orders

Washington courts issue orders for the payment of monthly support based on calculations set out by the law. Such calculations are based on the number of children, each parent’s income, certain expenses, special needs of the children, and other factors at the time the order is issued. Of course, circumstances can change, and a child support order that was once appropriate may now require modification.

There is a specific procedure for requesting the modification of child support orders, and courts will not simply approve such modifications in all situations. For this reason, if you wish to modify your child support order, you should always seek the assistance of an experienced family law attorney at the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess in Seattle and Tacoma. Please do not hesitate to call us at 206-621-1110 (Seattle), 253-572-1000 (Tacoma), 360-742-3500 (Olympia), 971-416-0881 (Portland) to discuss a possible case.

Proving a substantial change in circumstances

In order to obtain a child support modification, you must petition the court and submit certain forms. In order for a modification to be ordered, at least two years must have passed since the original order or at least one parent must show that there has been a substantial change in their financial circumstances. Some examples of events that may constitute a substantial change in financial circumstances are as follows:

  • Loss of a job
  • Illness or disability that limits the capability to work
  • Increased special needs of a child
  • Remarriage or divorce of one of the parents
  • New employment with substantially higher income

If you are ordered to pay child support and have lost your job or suffered other financial hardship, our attorneys can help you modify a support order so that you may support your children and yourself.

Making sure children are sufficiently supported

In some situations, however, a parent ordered to pay child support may purposefully choose to change their financial circumstances to have a support order modified. For example, a parent may quit a higher paying career and choose to work in a much lower paying job with the expectation that the required child support payments will decrease. A court recognizes this possibility and will make sure the children continue to be adequately supported by both parents. At the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess, we know how to argue that a parent has intentionally lowered their income in an attempt to defraud the court.

Whether you are the paying or receiving parent, you may find yourself back in court for a potential child support modification. You should always have representation from an experienced child support attorney to preserve your rights in such cases. Call the Dickson Frohlich Phillips Burgess for help at 206-621-1110 (Seattle), 253-572-1000 (Tacoma), 360-742-3500 (Olympia), 971-416-0881 (Portland).