Homeowner’s Association Attorney
Our Homeowner’s Association Attorneys Handle a Range of Legal Matters
If you are a representative of a homeowner’s association or are a homeowner-member of the association and have a legal issue, call an experienced homeowner’s association attorney at Dickson Frohlich at 206-429-6931. We provide a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your issues.
Homeowner’s associations (HOAs) exist to help protect the rights of homeowners in a particular community. However, HOAs often run into many different legal issues that must be handled in a proper and efficient manner. HOA law is very specific and can be complicated, so it is always important that an HOA in Washington have the assistance and advice of a skilled attorney who is familiar with the state and federal laws that apply to the situation.
Types of Services Our HOA Lawyer Provides
HOAs are legal entities and bound to follow rules and regulations and to treat all homeowners equitably. Problems with HOAs range from issues with a board of directors misspending funds to homeowners not paying their dues or following rules. An HOA lawyer can assist homeowners and their associations with numerous issues, including the following:
Our Seattle HOA lawyer Can Help Draft Legal Documents
HOAs require numerous documents. To make sure documents are legally binding and enforceable, you should always enlist the help of an attorney to draft and negotiate them. Documents include:
- Bylaws of the Association – These describe how the association is run, how the board of directors will be constructed, the voting rights and procedures, and rules for meetings. The bylaws may also describe the association’s rights and responsibilities, such as enforcing the rules and regulations and collecting assessments, and procedures for creating the annual budget and determining assessments
- Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) – This is a lengthy document that sets up the general structure of the development, including what are the common areas owned by the association. The CC&Rs also state the restrictions on homeowners’ properties and the common areas and lays out the rights and responsibilities of owners.
- Restrictions, Rules and Regulations – HOAs also have separate restrictions and rules that cover specific issues that affect the common good and value of the development. Examples may be parking and fencing restrictions and collecting delinquent HOA fees.
Seattle Homeowner’s Association Attorney Can Help with Collection of Assessments and Fees
Sometimes an HOA may have a homeowner that refuses to pay their required assessments and fees. Though no HOA wants to resort to legal threats, an attorney has methods of collection, including:
- Sending a demand notice with interest and late fee amounts due and consequences if not paid
- Filing lawsuits and getting court judgments
- Placing liens on homes if necessary.
HOA Lawyer Representing the Interests of Homeowners
At times, an HOA will not act in the best interests of all homeowners, such as by paying overly inflated fees to employees, or favoring some homeowners over others. HOAs may ask homeowners to do something or keep you from doing something not officially covered in the CC&Rs.
In such cases, homeowners may want to take legal action against the HOA by filing a lawsuit. Additionally, legal action may be necessary if construction defects or other issues are discovered at a later date. An HOA lawyer can take your case to court to have the unfair rule or practice removed and to ensure legitimate HOA rules are followed.
The homeowner’s association attorneys at Dickson Frohlich can represent homeowners with all legal issues with their HOA. Call us today at 206-429-6931.
Call Our Attorney for Homeowner’s Associations for Skilled Help
The above are only some of the ways that an experienced Seattle and Tacoma real estate lawyer can assist a homeowner’s association. Whether you are an HOA manager or a homeowner facing a legal matter, you should never hesitate to call Dickson Frohlich for help as soon as possible.
We offer free 15-minute phone consultations, so call today at 206-429-6931 for help.
I highly recommend Dickson Frohlich and if I ever need a lawyer again they will be my first call.
- Jeremy H.
I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate this firm! These guys helped me through one of the most challenging legal situations I’ve faced in my life. Their skill and expertise literally saved my business. I’ve dealt with other counsel in the past but the Dickson firm was by far the most competent and tactful counsel I’ve ever received. I would recommend this group to anyone!
- Keith D.
It’s a pleasure to work with the guys at Dickson Frohlich. One of the first things that stood out to me was how down to earth and friendly everyone at the firm is. I would definitely recommend them.